Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Something to think about !!!


Something to think about !!!

Once upon of time there was a guy who was always busy.  He would leave his house in a hurry every morning, jump into his car and head to work.  One day as the sun was rising he walked outside to get into his car and for the first time ever, since he started working as a corporate industrialist, he didn't rush to get to work.  The night before he had found out he suffered of a great illness and he was shaken to his core. He had decided to change the way he was living his life.  As he walked outside, for the first time he felt the rays of the sun warmly brush his face and the scent of  jasmin pierce his nose.  He was forced beyond himself to stand there and take a breath of fresh air.   In that moment he was not longer a slave of his thoughts; he let his mind wonder free.  He was hypnotized by the beauty of everything surround him.  For the first time he really saw the beauty in the gentle flutter of a butterfly; he delighted himself looking at the vibrant and delectable green apples hanging from his neighboors tree; he looked up to the sky and never felt so much tranquility in his entire life.  He was no longer afraid.  He knew that his life was about to change and that there was a light at the end of the tunnel.

Sometimes it is hard to see light when we find our selves in unpleasent situations or difficult phases in our lives, but the light is always there.  We confined ourelves in our emotions and we fail to see it.  I have seen the light and I am incredibly thankful for it. I saw it in a moment of desperation, a moment where I though my life was over and all my dreams had been destroyed. One day as a filled myself with pity and asked, why me? a question you never get the answer to, I got the answer. I realize that it was not about me. It was about us.  Unfortunately sometimes we get to cut up in our own lives that we forget that people just like us are also suffering and perhaps to more cruel and unjust causes.  It is by the misery of others that sometimes we realize that we are not alone in our struggles and that suffering can unite us all.  I comprehended that as a dream dies a new and better one is born.  Now, my new dream is to be a facilitator of social change in regards to issues that project social justice. Through this blog I hope to bring some light into people's lives by providing people with insightful knowledge and personal stories about different social causes taking part in other parts of the world.  

The first website that I really encourage you to check out is Media that Matters film Festival
This site presents 16 stories of people's struggles in different parts of the world.  These are short format documentaries the shortest from 1:39 to the longest of 8:10 that will change your perspective about your life as well as that of others.  
The second site I like for you to check is Beyond Borders a site that will show you how people just like you and me can make a difference.  One just needs to find a cause that is worth fighting for and for this group of people Children's Servitud in Haiti was it.  Check out how this people got started, their story and their great blog.
My last site for this week is The story of stuff   This is an incredible site for anyone who wants to become aware about how our economy and our every move, has an effect on people in other parts of the world.  




6 comments:

Jesse C. said...

Interesting post. You have a powerful message. What kinds of posts do you plan on for the future? Your links were really interesting as well. I recommend you read "Confessions of an Economic Hitman" by John Perkins it touches on the point you made about how it is not about me the individual but about us as a people. Keep up the good work.

Josh Muller said...

This was very insightful to read. I loved the story in the first paragraph about the man who found his life was changed one day because he realized he wouldn't live forever. It was really inspirational in a way because I love the message that you seem to be conveying. But at the same time, you said that suffering unites us which I think contradicts what you initially said. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you are saying and that is more than likely true. Nonetheless it is extremely thought provoking which is awesome in itself. The only thing I am worried about is future posts. I realize that is not for me to worry about, I just don't see a set structure yet, and by the next post I probably will. All in all I enjoyed reading your post very much.

Check out our website! said...

It’s interesting how many of us spend time complaining about the issues in our lives, when there are bigger problems to worry about that can help relief our own. And you gave a perfect example wit this post. I really like your motivation and inspiration to educate others about social change! As I read, I automatically feel inspired to educate myself more about big issues affecting our daily lives. And as I read your links, I have to say that I am glad to know about “The Story of stuff.” I like this site so much that I have to pass down the knowledge to my friends, especially my close home-girl that loves to shop and knows it’s wrong. Maybe this will finally calm her down.

John Eightclip said...

This was pretty interesting to read. I have found the light as well, my light doesn't move me in the same direction as you though. I guess thats what makes the world interesting. Each of us can find a light in a time of desperation and can figure out what direction to move in based on what fulfills us the most. I too was slightly confused by us finding our light, and then still suffering which unites us. Promoting social change is a huge topic, I hope that you can find a way to relate all of it to your readers. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Wow what an amazing website "Media That Matters" is I too found it when I rented their dvd from the public library and sent it to all of my friends. I like you wish to see the world change and know that media can be one of my tools. Great post!
Yours for Justice,
Josie

Jesse C. said...

Here is a link to John Perkins blog